Therapeutic Instructional Aide SY23-24
I Dream PCS Mission
I Dream PCS co-designs purposeful, self-directed learning with children and families, so they have voice and choice on the path to discovering and pursuing their dreams.
Why Join I Dream PCS?
I Dream PCS is seeking coaches that will work to actively dismantle hierarchical systems of power that prevent young learners from realizing their full potential in the world. You will collaborate with other lifelong learners and social justice warriors to reimagine school in a way that includes all voices in the decision-making process. You understand the task in front of us will require a monumental amount of work, but you see the vision and know this is difficult work we must do for our children.
You are all about our mission.
When you read the I Dream PCS mission, your eyes light up and you smile on the inside. Our website speaks to you and you know you want to be a part of making this school a reality for children. You can see it. Our mission and vision align with your beliefs and passion.
You have a growth mindset about yourself and your work.
You are a lifelong learner that is in constant evolution. You know you are good at what you do, but you also know that you always have room to learn. You learn from your mistakes and failures as much as you learn from books and from others. Growing yourself and your expertise comes natural to you. You approach the growth and development of learners and school programs by leveraging strengths and assets rather than focusing on deficits.
- You work with others positively and productively.
“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” You embrace this African proverb in the way you collaborate with others. You can easily work alone, but you recognize how important and fun it is to be a positive and productive member of a team. You have excellent interpersonal communication skills. People want to work with you.
You are ready to disrupt systemic inequities in service of our children.
You understand that the current public education system perpetuates systemic racism and that the achievement gap exists by design. You are committed to social justice and ready to transform the current public school model to one that values the gifts and talents every child and every family brings to the world. You are also committed to doing your own work to identify and mitigate your biases and prejudices in service of this work.
- Supports assigned learner with communication needs including the use of a communication device.
- Supports assigned learner to ensure learner’s safety through the implementation of the learner’s individualized health-care plan and Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
- Accompanies assigned learner to all classes and activities to support with school assignments.
- Maintains appropriate documentation of learner’s activities.
- Works under the direction of the special education coach to implement lesson plans and IEP goals.
- Provides staff assistance and program support through participation in meetings.
- Shadows assigned learner throughout the school day, monitors activities, and documents progress; maintains required electronic and paper documentation regarding learner’s behaviors and academic progress
- Provides care for assigned learner including advocating for learner needs, maintaining consistent communication with the family, and ensuring that all medical needs are met and the medical plan is shared with all stakeholders.
- Displays awareness of learner’s diagnoses and academic achievements; adapts behavior accordingly to help meet the requirements of the learner’s IEP.
- Demonstrate clear and professional boundaries with all learners.
- Provides feedback to coaches, school leaders, and other team members to help determine learner’s needs, and adjust behaviors and practices to accommodate those needs.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required
- 2+ years experience working with young children as dedicated aide, teaching assistant, or similar role in an urban setting required
- Must be comfortable working with learners who are nonverbal and/or have medical needs.
- Must have a compassionate and positive attitude, strong interpersonal and communication skills, basic fluency with technology and digital tools, and a commitment to meeting the needs of assigned learner.
Compensation and Benefits
I Dream PCS offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package to promote self-care and overall wellness, including employer-covered health insurance for employee, dental and vision insurance, free life insurance up to $100,000, 403b retirement including employer match, and included short term disability insurance.