I Dream PCS Mission
I Dream PCS co-designs purposeful, self-directed learning with children and families, so they have voice and choice on the path to discovering and pursuing their dreams.
- You are all about the I Dream PCS mission
When you read the I Dream PCS mission, your eyes light up and you smile on the inside. Our website speaks to you and you know you want to be a part of making this school a reality for children. You can see it. Our mission and vision align with your beliefs and passion.
- You embody a whatever-it-takes attitude
You believe creating and implementing clear and consistent systems and policies are required to efficiently and effectively run the business of school. And no matter what it takes, you will work collaboratively to resolve the issue at hand.
- You work with others positively and productively
You can easily work alone, but you recognize how important and fun it is to be a positive and productive member of a team. You have excellent interpersonal communication skills. People want to work with you.
- You are ready to disrupt systemic inequities in service of our children
You understand that the current public education system perpetuates systemic racism and that the achievement gap exists by design. You are committed to social justice and ready to transform the current public school model to one that values the gifts and talents every child and every family brings to the world. You are also committed to doing your own work to identify and mitigate your biases and prejudices in service of this work.
The Family Engagement Specialist reports to the Principal and is responsible for the planning, and execution of a comprehensive recruitment and engagement strategy, with the objective of increasing school enrollment and retaining learners. The Family Engagement Specialist works closely and collaborates with the Principal and school leadership team to ensure the recruitment and engagement plans are actualized.
Daily tasks for the Family Engagement Specialist include but are not limited to planning and leading family and community events, attending community events, growing social media presence, building relationships with community partners, directly engaging with families, collecting and entering enrollment documents, and tracking learner enrollment and demographic data.
The person in this role must execute their responsibilities with passion, professionalism, and a high degree of customer service.
Family and Community Engagement
- Serve as Family Point of Contact from the lottery through all enrollment audit activities.
- Plan and execute at least one engagement event or activity a month. Events may take place on weekends and evenings.
- Document engagement event outcomes and report trends to the Principal and school leadership team.
- Share monthly network-wide content that will include relevant news, upcoming events, and parent best practices with school staff.
- Support with recruitment communications with interested families and applicants, including email, voicemail, website, and social media.
- Manage outreach initiatives to increase learner enrollment, strengthen community partnerships, and offer families new opportunities for involvement in the school community.
- Cultivate external partnerships with local businesses, non-profit organizations, and neighborhood groups to support and strengthen I Dream PCS’ ties to the local community.
- Partner with the Principal to provide planning and support around engagement and events that support building school community.
- Manage all social media and expand the school’s social media presence (e.g., Instagram, Facebook, Tik Tok, flyers, Class Dojo, etc.).
- Creates and maintains social media posts.
- Reads and interprets social media analytics to develop strategic presence.
- Plan school tours, EdFest booth, information sessions and open houses.
- Build and maintain relationships with families, staff, school leaders and community members.
- Lead the planning, coordination and execution of school events, campaigns, and school initiatives, including summer and Back to School events.
- Organize and coordinate parent volunteers and parent groups.
- Collaborate with the Social Worker to identify family needs and community resources in order to coordinate support at the school to meet those needs.
- Assist in conducting partner visits.
- Help onboard new families to school values and policies during orientation.
- Collaborates with school leaders to create and send school-wide communication to families including calls, mass messages to families, and creating school announcements.
Learner Outreach, Recruitment, and Enrollment
- Plan and lead annual student recruitment and retention efforts.
- Serves as the school registrar to welcome and guide families from the point of contact through enrolling in our school.
- Ensures learner demographic and enrollment information is up to date.
- Ensures all enrollment and registration documents are received, organized, and complete.
I Dream PCS Community Member
- Participates in all necessary duties for the successful and orderly functioning of the school (hallway supervision, arrival/departure transitions, lunch/recess, and participation in fieldwork, supporting learners) and other such duties as assigned.
- Serves as a full-time and engaged member of the school staff, including collaborating with school staff, towards fulfilling I Dream’s mission to our learners.
- Fulfills other duties as assigned
Core Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-4 years of professional work experience in sales, business development, recruitment-related functions, customer engagement, or campaign operations in a business non-profit, education, community engagement or advocacy organization
- Embraces I Dream PCS’ mission and strong ability to share information about I Dream PCS’ instructional model, culture, and community
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and cultural competency skills including the ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse populations.
- Ability to work in a team as well as follow through independently to complete tasks as required
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with strong attention to detail
- A positive and energetic attitude when talking to potential families
- Demonstrated data management experience
- Proficiency or familiarity with PowerSchool, eSchoolPlus, and OSSE data systems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Work, Excel, Powerpoint) and/or Google applications (Sheets, Docs, Slides, Google Drive) with the ability to learn new technologies (CRM - Salesforce, video conferencing, etc.)
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality where required and discretion when involved in sensitive conversations
- Ability to engage families in dialogue about I Dream PCS
- Flexible and willing to work evenings and weekends
- Current I Dream PCS families are encouraged to apply
- Familiarity with DC Metro Region, highly preferred; Residents of Wards 7 and 8 encouraged to apply
- Prior charter school experience preferred
- Bilingual candidates, proficient in speaking, reading and writing in other languages encouraged to apply
Compensation and Benefits
I Dream PCS offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package to promote self-care and overall wellness, including employer-covered health insurance for the employee, dental and vision insurance, free life insurance up to $100,000, 403b retirement including employer match, and covered short term disability insurance.
Why Join I Dream PCS?
You will work to actively dismantle hierarchical systems of power that prevent young learners from realizing their full potential in the world. You will collaborate with other lifelong learners and social justice warriors to reimagine school design in a way that includes all voices in the decision-making process. You understand the task in front of us will require a monumental amount of work, but you see the vision and know this is difficult work we must do for our children.